Thursday, April 26, 2012

Can someone recommend a graphics card solution?

This is a bit of an odd problem. I built a barebones PC from scratch at the end of last year. Everything works for the most part, but after about 5 minutes of being powered on, the graphics card slows down to 5-10 fps while playing games, moving windows, or viewing flash videos - pretty much anything. It does not appear to be a heat issue, because this happens even when I crank the GPU fan all the way to the max. If I do crank the fan up, the temp stays at about 50 degrees celsius, if I leave it on auto, it climbs to 70-75 celsius. I thought that was high, but apparently that's normal for this card (EVGA 9800 GT 512mb). As far as I know, I haven't done anything to break the card's warranty, but the card and the system don't exactly throw any system errors or anything that can definitively say "bad graphics card". My CPU and memory rest at 48-50% in even the most demanding game scenarios, it's only the graphics that can't keep up. Also, once the fps problem starts, it doesn't recover until the machine is powered off, regardless of temperature. I'm moving in about 30 days, which also is going to make it complicated getting a replacement from EVGA - if I report it now, they'll send it to the wrong address (I haven't found a new address yet) and if I report it after I move, they'll likely blame it on moving the computer and refuse the refund. Also, I've had this problem ever since I built the computer, it is not a new occurance, but I have not previously reported the error.



So basically I'm faced with a connundrum - I can fight EVGA to get a replacement card, or I can buy a new card. If I do buy a new card, I actually want to buy two new SLI-compatible cards. My motherboard has two PCI-E 2 slots and both the board and the power supply are SLI-ready. However, I don't really know what graphics cards I should get if I go for SLI I've heard nvidia style 7600s work the best for SLI power supplies (SLI PSU spec is max 18A per 12v rail), but I've only seen one person suggest anything for SLi, and I don't really know enough to figure much else out.



Here are my specs:

Motherboard: Asus P5N-D

Power supply Specs: 600W

+3.3V - 25A

+5V - 30A

+12v1 - 18A

+12v2 - 18A

-5V - 0.8A

-12V - 0.8A

5Vsb - 2.0A

Memory - 2GB DDR2

CPU - 3.2ghz Pentium D (dual)|||There is a known issue with the 9800gt series and a voltage regulator temp problem (that the gpu fan does not address).



I would call EVGA anyway they have very good customer service. Tell them you suspect the temp VRM problem and ask if they can advance-RMA you a new card (which they will ask for your credit card to secure the replacement until your card arrives with them) so the moving problem will not be an issue.



A buddy of mine had 5 RMAs (yes FIVE incredible) until his VRM problem was eliminated through EVGA, was painful but worth it.





cheers



A single-card solution is always a better cost-effective solution than SLI, and SLI does not offer a performance advantage in all games.

No comments:

Post a Comment