Thursday, April 26, 2012

Video card overheating -- what can I do to stop this?

So I bought a BFG GeForce 8400 GS at Best Buy, after about 2 months of non-stop artifacts, bright as hell colors during gaming, graphical lock and PC crashes, I finally requested an RMA with BFG. After 2 weeks, I got my replacement card today. It's doing the same thing. I went to Staples about a week ago and I bought this fan that attaches to that metal expansion bay where you put PCI stuff. It screws in there, it's a huge fan that sits right infront of the fan of the video card to allow additional cooling. Apparently it's not working.



So, these bright colors and glitchy bright blocks around the texture of things in the game is from overheating, right? Well, what can I do to stop this? Can I buy a better fan for this card? Do I need a new card all together? Thanks.|||This could also be a problem with the PCI express port on the motherboard I wouldn't count that out. How long do you play until it artifacts? Its unlikely that its the card because its your second one. Stock computers have horrid cooling so its probably an overheating issue.|||It sounds like the card is either overclocked beyond it's capabilities or it has a design flaw. I would download "NTune" from NVIDIA's website and check to see if it is overclocked by going into the GPU settings.



If it isn't, request a cashe refund from BFG.



And another thing, why are you getting a 8400? That is outdated by today's standards.



Also check your power supply and make sure it has enough wattage and ampere rating. Power supply issues are the number one cause of hardware problems on a PC.|||Yeah I was going to tell you about the PCI Fan, that's what I use. If you're still having problems it could probably be an inadequate Power Supply. How many watts is your power supply and what are the full specifications of your computer?

No comments:

Post a Comment